Rose Petal Wine
A medium sweet social wine.
- 2 litres of Scented rose petals
- 500g of Concentrated rose grape juice
- 600g of Sugar
- 3.4 litres of Hot water
- 1 tsp of Citric acid
- Campden tablets
- Gervin GV2 Yeast
- Pick the roses when fully blown and just before petal fall. Place them in a suitable measure and shake them down- but do not press them.
- Empty the petals into a ceramic bowl or small polythene bin, pour hot water over them and rub them against the side of the vessel with the back of a wooden spoon to extract the essence. Cover and leave to cool.
- Add one crushed campden tablet and the citric acid, steep the petals twice a day for two days. Strain out, press dry and discard the petals. Stir in the concentrated grape juice, sugar, nutrient and yeast. Pour the must into a fermentation jar and ferment out.
- Rack into a clean jar, add one campden tablet, top up, bung tight and store the wine until bright.
- Syphon into bottles, add two saccharin pellets to each and store until the wine is six months old. Serve it cold as a delightfully fragrant social wine.